Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sarah Palin's Idiocy

I, like millions of people around the world, am extremely saddened by the tragedy in Arizona. Once more, as an American I find it deeply depressing that now we have to fear domestic terrorism brought on by fear and hate. Hate stirred up by people like Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly (and those are just a few).

Then Sarah Palin has the audacity to say that we shouldn't be pointing fingers at people who use gun rhetoric.
This morning I read an article in which Sarah Palin said it was irresponsible to blame rhetoric for the tragedy in Arizona. Really?! She thinks it's OK to put cross hairs of a gun over democrats that she is "targeting". Sure Sarah, it's all fun and games.....until someone gets shot. She goes on to say that the crime begins and ends with the individual who committed the crime. So if someone was paid to kill someone else, then is the only person responsible for the crime the one who actually committed  the murder?  Of course not!

I'm not saying she, or others, wanted this to happen. But are they really surprised? If you say over and over again things such as, "we need to take this country back before it's too late", and "let's make my opponents afraid to come out of their houses (Alan West)", and "join me firing machine guns (Jesse Kelley)", and then someone goes out and shoots a politician, can these hate mongers really be surprised that someone took them literally?

The thing that makes me mad is that Sarah Palin could have come out and said, "I was wrong to put cross hairs over people's faces, I was wrong to say things that I said, I never wanted my words to be taken literally. I am grieved by what happened in Arizona." But she didn't, she instead defends her rhetoric.

We do have freedom of speech, but does that mean we should not filter what we say? Words have consequences, and in this case people's freedom of speech was at the expense of others lives.

Sarah Palin and other hate mongers I have some advice for you, in the words of my good friend Tom, "sometimes you have to eat your words so don't talk shit".

No comments:

Post a Comment